In my last post, I shared about the challenge for our Elders to evaluate our church and to understand our strengths and weaknesses (or – as I prefer to say – opportunities for growth) as a church. What I didn’t share was any specifics about what, exactly, that evaluation looked like and what specific things were decided to be our strengths and our opportunities for growth here at The Intersection. While I can’t share everything that was discussed or every opinion that was given during our time working through this, I can share the general guiding framework that we worked under as we sought to understand just where we are – and where we want to go – as a body of believers.
First, let me just state how proud I am of our group of Elders! David Motley, Steve Starnes, John Rambo, Travis Provost, and Robby Provost have all worked hard to serve our church faithfully throughout this process. We began this journey of evaluation and discerning God’s leading back in September of last year, and they worked tirelessly through the sharing of the vision with the church body last month – that’s 8 months! And in truth, April was really the “launch” as far as we are all concerned, so we expect to be hard at work moving forward for the foreseeable future.
When we began our evaluation, we broke it up into six main areas:
- Our Pastor
- Our Elders
- Our Church (as on organization)
- Our Congregation (as individuals)
- Our Community
- Looking Forward
For each of these areas, we asked a series of questions related to that specific area:
- What are your general thoughts about our pastor & his leadership?
- What do you think our pastor does well?
- How do you think our pastor could improve?
- What would you like to see our pastor change / do differently?
- Is there anything you feel our pastor could do to better lead and minister to you?
- What are your general thoughts about our elders and their leadership (as a group)?
- What do you think our elders do well (as a group)?
- How do you think our elders could improve (as a group)?
- What would you like to see our elders change / do differently?
For each individual Elder
- How am I doing overall as an elder for our church?
- Am I satisfied that I am doing what God expects of me in my role as elder?
- Is there anything that I feel I could do to better lead and minister to others in our church?
- Is there anything that I feel I could do to better encourage and support our pastor?
Our Church (as an organization)
- How do you think our church is doing at this point in time?
- What do you see as our church’s main purposes?
- How do you think we are doing at living out these purposes?
- What could we be doing to better live out these purposes?
- What do you see as our church’s biggest strengths / areas we should capitalize on?
- What do you see as our church’s biggest weaknesses /areas for improvement?
Our Congregation (as individuals)
- How do you perceive the spiritual growth and development of our congregation?
- What areas of congregational life do you feel are the strongest in our body?
- What areas of congregational life do you feel are the weakest in our body?
- What do you believe are the biggest needs in our congregation?
- What can we do to improve the health and growth (spiritual and/or numerical) of our congregation?
- What do you believe the perception of our church is by those in the community who know of us?
- How are we meeting felt needs within our community?
- How are we meeting spiritual needs within our community?
- How are we supporting other organizations helping to make our community a better place?
- What could we do differently to better share the gospel of Jesus to our community?
- What do you imagine our church will look like in 2-3 years? What words come to mind that describe it?
- What do you feel the most excited about for our church in the next 2-3 years?
- What do you worry/fear the most about for our church in the next 2-3 years?
- What would it look like to you for our church to be “successful” in the next 2-3 years
We spent 8 months asking these questions, praying for our church, seeking God’s guidance, sharing our thoughts and opinions, and discussing what that all means for us.
As I’ve already said, it would not be appropriate for me to go through the details of those answers and discussions. What I will do, though, is much more important… I will share the end results and the new vision that we believe God has given us for next chapter of The Intersection. I’ll start by sharing our two key takeaways from this valuable time of evaluation, and then I’ll spend some time talking through our new vision.
In the meanwhile – what about you and your thoughts? As you read through those questions we spent time answering, does anything jump out at you? Is there something that you’d like to share in response to any of them? If so, I’d love to hear from you! This is – and will continue to be – an ongoing process in the life of our church! So feel free to shoot me an email and let me know what you think!
Also, I have some special guest posts coming up soon, so be on the lookout for those.